Friday, December 17, 2010

Why I Love My UPS Driver

Earlier this week, a strange thing happened. I was working in my office, minding my own business, when a co-worker brought me a UPS envelope. The "ship to" had only my name, and the return address was garbled. How it got to me was a mystery, but its origins were anything but. Inside were some important documents I had entrusted a co-worker to ship out but she had somehow mangled the matter. Since there isn't anything one can do about the past, I took her the envelope, told her to fix it and get it back out before the day was over, and I left it at that. She was sufficiently embarrassed that I doubt she'll make that error again.

Today when I had something that needed to go out, I decided I had better do it myself. Since we were out of labels and envelopes, I figured I'd get what I needed at the drop box, but there were none there. Next I went to the Copy Center, which is also a UPS pickup spot. There at the Copy Center was my UPS guy, Ross. He delivers to the university and to my house and while the kid at the counter started making my labels, Ross told me he had left a package on my front porch (yay!) and then he said, "I found a very strange package for you in the drop box a few days ago."

As it turns out, he was the one who got that mislabeled package back to me. He didn't know what to do with it, but he knew me by name because he delivers to my house and used to deliver to me in one of my previous campus jobs. He didn't know where I currently office, but he asked around and finally figured it out.

I was so grateful that I was on the point of asking Ross to marry me when the kid working on my labels informed me that if we were going to bill a campus department for my current package, it would be twice as much as just using an ordinary label. Unfortunately he had no labels, and Ross had none in his truck.

Ross had another solution, though. The college on whose behalf I was sending the package was across the street. "That's my next stop," he said. He gave me a room number and told me to ask for Lupita. "She has labels and supplies. I'll meet you over there."

So I found Lupita, got my labels, and was just sealing the envelope when Ross showed up. He took my package and I know it's in safe hands now.

The only issue remaining at this point is...what should I get Ross for Christmas?

14 comments:

Glenna said...

Hmmm. Something tasty, like Christmas cookies or peanut brittle? It's always so wonderful when someone takes extra trouble--and remembers you.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Yes, Glenna. Ross really went above and beyond. I'm going to find out his last name and send a letter to local UPS management. I don't know what he's making, but whatever it is, he deserves a raise. He really knows the meaning of customer service.

the Bag Lady said...

I'm not sure what you should get Ross, but it should be something good!
And I totally agree that you should let UPS know what a great employee they have in him.

RG said...

Well you told him your thanks and tell his boss!

Listen - a big tin of Almond Roca (Brown and Haley) ALWAYS works for me.

The Fab Furs said...

Wow, such special service at their busiest time of year! A letter that can go in his file is a great idea. All the snack ideas are good--or perhaps something homemade like fudge?

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful Christmassy story! I agree, let his boss know your compliments, and give him something edible :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Definitely make him a batch of your granola bars. No one with any sense can resist those babies.

Ross is awesome. Writing a letter of praise will be most awesome of you to do.

Erin said...

What a nice guy! You should send him a bottle of wine:)

Christina said...

Treats Treats Treats and tell his company how great he is.

Anonymous said...

I was about to suggest writing to his manager but I see you have that in hand already. I'm pretty certain that kind of guy would juts appreciate a thanks but something like a box of chocs could be nice?

How nice to see that some people still take pride in their job!

~ Bobkat

Lisa said...

Wow. Good people. Not enough conscientious workers around these days.

Writing a letter is a really great idea. I think if you tell them his route and first name, they can figure out the last name...

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What a lovely story of the holiday spirit - whether during the holidays or not, he sounds like a gem.

RoadBunner said...

What a great story! I used to love my UPS guy in NYC. He'd see me on the street and go grab something in the truck for me that he had left a ticket for earlier in the day.

I know I have it somewhere, but please email me at roadbunner at gmail . com so we can chat about this weekend!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

@Roadbunner: Yes, Ross has seen me on the street and asked if I wanted a particular package left on the porch or not. If something looks expensive, he'll ask my preference or even just give it to me wherever we happen to cross paths.