Saturday, February 10, 2007

Running in Circles

I feel like I’m on a sort of life treadmill here. No sooner was I getting back in the swing of things after two weeks of a respiratory ailment, than I came down with a stomach virus. Yes, the same one that Dan had last week, that we thought was food poisoning. I was out of the office Monday and Tuesday, and still don’t feel like everything is working quite right. I get hungry, but not as often as I used to, and I don’t have an appetite. Food tastes fine when I finally force myself to eat, but it seems to sit in my stomach forever. Ugh.

So with my glycogen stores depleted, I had no idea how my long run today would go. Surprisingly, it was all right. I did loops at Memorial Park, just to play things safe (restrooms, food, and electrolytes readily available). Nothing of interest happened on the run—I ran up to the park, did my three loops and ran home for a total of twelve miles. I was surprised at how few people were out running today. It was cold (for Houston), but not that bad. It was only in the 40s. And even the street traffic was light, as if everyone was out of town or something.

Odd.

It’s worth noting that today was my first run since December without kinesio tape on any part of my body! I could’ve used some on my lower back, though. All these weeks of no core work and lots of sitting around being sick had my back aching by the last two miles.

I got some exciting news Friday—my father is going to Spain this summer! My dad made a lot of sacrifices for our family, and between that and his farm-boy frugality, he never did a lot of travel and has never been farther than Puerto Rico or Mexico. So this will be his first overseas adventure! I’m so excited for him I can hardly stand it. I’ve thought for years that he needed to do something amazing and wonderful for himself, and he’s finally doing it. Go Dad!!!

Recent Workouts
Thursday: 3 mile run (very slow)
Friday: scheduled rest/errand day
Saturday: 12 mile run

3 comments:

Stacia said...

The physical fitness thing amazes me...I have bad knees and haven't willingly run anywhere in, like, my entire life. I envy you, I really do.

Kyle said...

I dont know if your father is interested in any architecture, but Antoni Guadi inspires me. His Sagrada Familia and Casa Batllo are two of my all time favorites. you must go with him!

http://www.greatbuildings.com/architects/Antonio_Gaudi.html

Una said...

Oh so sorry you were sick! Ick. I hope you're all better now.

Glad your run went well, sometimes when you least expect it they're easier.

I'm so glad your Dad is off to Spain! Steve's Mom has been travelling a lot since his Dad died, Alaska, Resolute Bay, and this summer, Greenland. Steve says she's spending his inhearitance, but nothing could make us happier! It's what she and his Dad worked so hard for, she deserves to enjoy it!