Thursday, January 13, 2005

Tired of being sick

Am I ever going to get any better? I've been sick for a week now and it's starting to feel like forever. I thought about going to the doctor, but after reading up on bronchitis and seeing that there wasn't anything a doctor would do for me that I'm not already doing for myself, I decided not to bother. I also read that bronchitis can last for two or three weeks!

Weeks??? I don't think my sanity would last that long! Doesn't my body understand that the spring bike ride series is getting ready to start? I have things I need to be doing!

On a somewhat brighter note though, Dan said he would pay my entry fee for the Austin or Surfside marthon if I wanted to try again next month. I don't know, though. Am I jinxed for all marathons, or just Houston? I don't know if I want to spend any more money (even if it's not my own) trying to find out.

I suppose there's still a small reason to hope my health will make a sudden improvement by Saturday, but I'm not betting on it. And even if things started looking up, I don't know if I would feel up for tackling 26.2 miles on Sunday. I might be just fine or I might get five miles into it and realize I've lost a lot of fitness and have made a terrible mistake. There won't be any way to know ahead of time.

In other news, work was a total disaster area today. I had several very complex projects to get to my business manager for signing before the end of the day and it was just one thing after another. People were nagging me, things weren't working right, I could barely speak above a whisper and of course not being able to breathe was very distracting without all of the other crap going on. I was so glad to finally get in my car and head home!

But I'm taking tomorrow off and Monday is a holiday, so for what it's worth I have a four day weekend. I had planned to go to the sports expo, but I'm not sure if I have the heart for it. What I am going to do though, is drop in at the Y and sit in the steam room awhile. Maybe that will help my lungs a bit. And when I return to work on Tuesday, I'll have new neighbors! Another department is moving into our building and I'm friends with just about all of them, especially their business officer. She's one of those people who can always make me laugh and that's a very fine quality in a human being.

No comments: