Saturday, September 24, 2005

Blustery Day

It's 7:15 am and we're having some sustained winds followed up with stronger gusts. You can hear the wind howling in some areas of the apartment, but here in the bedroom all I can hear is the wind in the trees. Thus far, this has been no worse than any storm with a lot of wind, except that this is much more sustained.

We still have power. Maybe we'll get lucky. There are a lot of downed gutters and branches though, and the lights have flickered from time to time, so we'll see.

I'm not terribly impressed so far, but I'm happy to remain unimpressed. I think the bigger danger may end up being from flooding. So far though, we've had very little rain. I'm going to be unhappy if it turns out I did battle with my first-floor neighbor's cat for nothing. That animal hates people and I would've happily left it there if I hadn't had good reason to be concerned about flooding.

I was too tired to stay up any longer and went to bed around 1:30. I slept pretty well and only just woke up a few minutes ago and figured I'd check the news and see how far along we are with this thing. It all looks good, as near as I can tell. Good enough that I might just go back to bed.

Now I understand why some people sleep through hurricanes. After all those preparations, by the time the damn thing actually arrives, you have no energy left!

No comments: