Saturday, February 17, 2007

Long Run and Other Random Stuff

Today I ran to Hermann Park and a little way up MacGregor before turning around and heading home. At the turnaround point, I saw lots of thick grayish smoke in the Medical Center area. It was blowing toward me and it smelled of chemicals and tasted vaguely like plastic. All the way back to the park and to the trail around Rice University, vehicles of all description rushed past, sirens blaring. When I got home I got online and found that it was only a three-alarm fire, but that some twenty-five vehicles were called out for it. It was a building under construction, so no one was hurt, but it did make quite a ruckus.

I’m having a busy time of it at the office. One of my stronger and more knowledgeable team members has been out on extended leave at a critical time for all of us, so I feel like I’m always playing catch-up. I no sooner check something off my list, when my boss drops by and cheerfully drops two more projects on me. It doesn’t help that I’m so often tired.

But that’s about to change. I’m finishing the daily-posting part of my Diana’s Diary fiction project this weekend, and that makes me happy. I’ll continue to update it, but I will no longer be posting nightly after Sunday. I ran the numbers and realized that I’ve been spending 20-30 hours per week on it! I’m glad I didn’t realize this until I was nearly done, or I might’ve quit. Instead, I’ve done exactly what I set out to do, and more. I’ll write an extended follow-up in a day or two—a sort of “lessons learned” post.

In the meantime, I’m very excited that I’m about to have more time for other things, like more workouts, more sleep, more reading, and new creative projects. I’ve spent that “extra” 20-30 hours per week a hundred different ways already, in my mind! But what I’m really in the market for is a new home on a planet with longer days. If anyone has recommendations, I’m listening!

Recent Workouts
Tuesday: 3.5 mile run
Wednesday: 30 minute elliptical
Thursday: 30 minute spin
Friday: scheduled rest day
Saturday: 14 mile run

5 comments:

M. said...

Your Diana blog looks intriguing. Great idea for a blog!

Rachel said...

Congrats on finishing your project. You're so lucky to actually get some extra time! I think Tidbit needs some!

LauraHinNJ said...

There's never enough time, is there? Especially on the weekends. I agree that Tidbit will appreciate some more snuggle time.

;-)

Ellie Hamilton said...

Longer days, yeah, that should do it just fine.... I'll go with ya.

TX Runner Mom said...

Congrats on finishing and having more time! BTW, if you find the planet with longer days, let me know. I need to move there too!