Saturday, June 02, 2007

Home-- One Week Later

Well, I’ve been home exactly one week, and it’s nice to know exactly where everything is and not be constantly rummaging through suitcases. It’s also nice to be back in a daily rhythm. I don't mean to be a little obsessive about that, but I think I am.

Also, I've noticed my body is almost used to being home and back on a schedule. I spent a lot of time being sleepy this week, but other than that, things are starting to get back to normal. Things got a little crazy at my office and at Dan’s while we were away, though. After our first day back at work, we both came home, related the day’s gossip to each other, then looked each other in the eye and asked, “When do we go on vacation again?”

Fifteen more years until early retirement.

My long run today went well—much better than last weekend, when I was tired and having asthma troubles. It’s starting to be warm and humid in the mornings, though, so I’m going to have to start getting up earlier for these runs. Winter and early spring spoil me, allowing me to sleep until nearly 7:00, but I really need to be getting up an hour earlier now. In spite of taking water and electrolytes with me and stopping for more at every opportunity, my calves got crampy once I was home, before I iced and fully re-hydrated. It’s time to learn how to run in the heat again!

This would be a good time to give a plug for unscented baby wipes. Uh, yeah. Really. Maybe it’s different in dry climates, but here in HumidLand, if you’re not leaving a drippy trail at the end of a long run, you’ve cheated and have been sipping lattes at an air-conditioned Starbucks instead of running. Unless you live alone, your spouse, roommate or significant other is not going to be pleased when you come in the door, dripping and stinky, needing to ice down for 10-20 minutes before even thinking of getting in the shower. Hence the baby wipes. They’re great for a quick cleanup! Then you can ice down your legs in peace, without offending anyone.

Not much is happening around here this weekend, and I’m trying to keep it that way. I’m just striving for what constitutes “normal” in my life. And I’m dreaming of vacations to come!

Recent Workouts
Monday: 80 minute spin
Tuesday: 30 minute elliptical—ladder drill
Wednesday: 30 minute spin
Thursday: 30 minute elliptical—steady state
Friday: rest day
Saturday: 15 mile run

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unscented baby wipes are one of the best products ever. I keep them in the truck for cleanup after rummaging through garage sales or loading the truck full of dirt or surplus metal.

Crabby McSlacker said...

We do a lot of road trips in a camper van, and campground showers are often nasty. So sometimes we get a bit casual about personal hygiene, and try to pretend we can go longer than we actually can between showers.

Unscented baby wipes! What a great idea--it never occurred to me. Will definitely have to check this out!

Thanks bunnygirl, you are always such a good source of practical advice.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Crabby, if you want to go really crazy with the whole road hygiene thing, you can buy no-rinse soaps and shampoos at Campmor. I've never tried them, but I've bought some and stocked them for camping and hurricane season.

But for just simple stuff, the baby wipes are fantastic!

Vickie said...

I keep some of those in the car at all times! Good for anytime actually, considering I might have a kid or two riding along too.