Saturday, July 28, 2007

Moving Plans

Another crazy week at work! My right-hand gal has been on vacation, as has one of my managerial counterparts, and we’re heading into fiscal year close, etc, etc. Everyone should be back next week, though, and our boss has said no vacations in August. Luckily she made an exception for me to have a day off for moving. We want to move the furniture on a Friday, when the parking lot outside our apartment will be empty and the van can pull up close. And of course, once your furniture is gone, you might as well be gone with it!

So with two weeks to go, moving plans are speeding up. It’s scary how long I had to spend on the phone to get electric service transferred, vs the almost magical speed of dealing with the gas company. We also found out there’s no DSL in our new neighborhood. WTF? Our house is a block from the third largest university in Texas and NO DSL??? I’m skeptical, so I’m going to ask the university’s head of network planning if this is true. In the meantime, Serious Packing has begun.

My father is home from Spain and we’ve talked on the phone a couple times. He had a fantastic time and we’re going to go see the pics tomorrow. We’ll try to arrange for him to see the house sometime next week, since he’s going back to New Mexico soon.

I have a feeling the next few weeks are going to be crazy-busy. I’ll be doing good if I can just keep to a workout schedule and hold onto my sanity. I’m cocooning tonight, knowing it won’t be so easy to get down-time in August. I'm sometimes embarrassed at how much alone-time I need to stay sane, but I used to try pretending to be someone I'm not, and it always ended badly.

I did the Memorial/Chimney Rock/Tanglewood run again today, since after next weekend, I’ll have to drive to get to a place to start that particular route. It just doesn't seem right to drive in order to run, so I’ll probably stick with routes near my house after the move. So Tanglewood it was! It was an unusually cool morning for almost-August, although the humidity was bad enough that gills might’ve been useful.

After that, it was quality time with the bun while I iced my legs, then a long hot shower and soon Dan and I were on our way for Indian food! We were going to drop by the house afterwards to see the new varnish on the hardwood floors, but we were so full and lazy afterwards that we skipped it and took an afternoon nap instead. Good times!

Recent Workouts
Monday: 30 minutes elliptical, 10 stairmaster
Tuesday: 4 mile run
Wednesday: 3.5 mile run
Thursday: 30 minutes elliptical
Friday: scheduled rest day
Saturday: 13.5 mile run

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Moving is so insane, but you'll get through it.

DSL availability is based on distance between your house and the nearest phone company CO and the type of wire between the two places. You could be next door to MIT, but if the line between your house and the nearest CO is too long, no DSL for you.

We had the same problem when we moved and ended up having to go with Comcast for our Internet.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Yes, a call to Comcast is on our to-do list. It just seems so silly to not have DSL available. It makes me feel like I'm moving to some rural BFE place. But our head of network planning will have good advice for me. If there's any better option than Comcast, he'll know about it.

Una said...

How exciting! Please post pictures of the finished floors... love house pictures!

Good luck with the move. Hate moving, but it's always so worth it!