Friday, September 12, 2008

General Info for the Viewer at Home

Here are some information sources. My ability to give updates after a power outage will be limited.

Local alarmist fishwrap. Anything by Eric Berger the "Sci Guy" is pretty good. You'll get lots of local pictures, too: Houston Chronicle

Weather Underground tropical updates: Weather Underground

NOAA. Technical, but good. NOAA

If you have DirecTV, you can watch one of the local Houston TV stations on channel 361. It's typical alarmist news, but you can also watch the waves breaking over the Galveston seawall, which is fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

And you can check the weather forecast site of your choice to see conditions in my area. I'm in Zip Code 77004.

As a point of reference for news reports, I'm north of Hobby Airport and south of Downtown. Our neighborhood is on Bray's Bayou, which had a lot of work done on it in the last year. I just hope the engineers knew what the heck they were doing. This neighborhood didn't flood in Allison, which was a 500-year flood event, so we should be just fine even if we get more rain than forecasted.

Wind is picking up now and I'm going to bring in the last of the laundry. I also need to think of something to do with the remaining eggs in the fridge. I'll boil the very last ones this evening, since boiled eggs stay okay for awhile. But I wish I could think of another baking project. More cookies, maybe? As soon as I see the crews come through to restore power and cable, I'll want bribes to show how grateful I am for their service. Hm. Perhaps it will be cookies.

4 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Hang in there Cadbury and folks, we just checked the weather link, at least your air quality is good.
-Tyler, Sydney and Diana (not your fictional character..)

Thomma Lyn said...

I was watching footage of those waves on the weather channel -- that's some major water, *whew*!

Thanks for the links -- I'll be keeping tabs on this all day. And sounds like you're living in a good place which isn't likely to flood, so I'll be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed!

Making cookies -- sounds like a good project. I bet the power crew fellers would love cookies!

((((((((((((You and Dan and Cadbury and Pixel)))))))))) Stay safe and dry!

Michele said...

I'm really happy to hear that the storm won't be making a direct hit in your neighborhood. Ike is all over the news here and I've been thinking of you. Sounds like it's going to be very bad for folks out on the coast, though. :-(

I second the cookie idea, especially if you can offer them to hungry people working hard to keep you connected to civilization. A cookie always makes everything a little better.

Glenna said...

Mmmm. Deviled eggs to eat now!

I was up in our lounge watching the news coverage on tv, and the waves are pretty incredible. What kills me is the citizens hanging around taking photos.