Monday, July 17, 2006

Underclass

I got to work this morning, opened the door to the building and was hit with a wall of hot air. It got hotter and hotter as I walked toward my office at the end of the building. I checked the thermostat. Mid-nineties. Ugh.

I nosed around and finally found the HVAC guy, who explained that the a/c had failed over the weekend, but that we had a backup chiller and he had turned it on. He said we could expect cool air shortly.

I waited. And waited. The temp came down to the high eighties.

I thought about working from home, but I had to finish a project for an afternoon presentation and I needed feedback from a key person. So I waited.

The temp dropped to a bit below eight-five.

I continued to wait.

Then the temps started climbing again.

I got the phone call I was waiting for so I could finish my project, and I also got the phone call I had been dreading, that HVAC could not guarantee a fix on the a/c by the end of the day. Great.

By the time I finished up, it was nearing ninety again, and I had to get out of there. I sent out the presentation, locked up and left.

Two Mondays ago, no water. This Monday, no a/c. Sometimes I swear I work in a third world country.

1 comment:

Jill said...

You deserve hazard pay!!