Saturday, March 08, 2008

Lackluster Run

and New Adventures in Cooking

Sometimes I go out for a run and I’m just not feeling it. Today was one of those days.

I’m always sleepy in the morning and the feeling usually passes, so I didn’t worry about that. And although I’m having a lot of asthma troubles with all the ash pollen these days, my lungs usually figure things out after about half an hour, so I didn’t worry too much about that, either. It was a little colder out than I would’ve liked—I had to wear my fleece headband to keep my ears warm and my hands got cold and stiff. I wasn’t happy about that at all. But I figured those things would resolve themselves with time and I’d end up enjoying my run.

Nope.

But since I hadn’t been able to work out for two days and had been doing a lot of eating, I forced myself through it. I had mapped out a route that would take me on the newly-refurbished part of the bayou trail, to the zoo, to Rice University, and eventually to my bank before coming home. The bank was kind of a priority since my father sent me a check to help with my student loan repayments.

It was a clear sunny day with bright blue skies, perfect for running. Flowers were in bloom, robins bopping around in the grass, ospreys soaring over the bayou looking for fish. Nice. There was some kind of event going on at my university and there was a run going on at the Rice campus—race bibs, timing mat and everything. In all, it was a really nice morning to be out seeing people and other wildlife, but I just wasn’t feeling it for some reason.

Oh well. I got my check deposited. And I earned lots of yummy Indian food for lunch.

I got a package today from my father. He has always been one to give random little gifts that aren’t necessarily very expensive or significant of themselves, but always carry a warm “thinking of you” message. Today’s box contained dried chiles, pecans from his tree, some Easter candy, and an over-engineered water bottle that tracks your hydration throughout the day. I offered Dan the bottle, telling him maybe it would help him keep from getting kidney stones again!

Tonight I’m working on a new culinary experiment. See, I have a carrot problem. Tidbit loves carrot tops but she can’t have a lot of carrots because of the sugar content. And although I like carrots just fine, I get tired of them. How many ways can you cook a carrot? So tonight I’m making carrot bread, using a zucchini bread recipe and substituting grated carrots. Results should be available for tasting in about half an hour!

Recent Workouts
Monday: 30 minute elliptical, weights
Tuesday: 5.5 mile run
Wednesday: 35 minute spin (intervals)
Thursday: no workout
Friday: scheduled rest day
Saturday: 19 mile run

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had kind of a "meh" run. But you certainly earned the Indian food -- I love Indian food!

I know what you mean, there are days I'm a bit off-kilter and have to slog through a hike to get to the end of the trail -- but once I do, I'm always glad I did. :)

Zinger said...

well dunno if you heard about cap'n ruperts famous carrot cake but rabbits guy translated the british measures to us
http://pipersstuff.homestead.com/CapRprtCrtCk.html

hope your stuff turns out good - and yeah we bunns don't get many carrots!

DK & The Fluffies said...

Please feel free to send carrots my way!

Fiona Bun
Benicia CA 94510

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

How'd the bread turn out?

I was going to jump on the trainer for half an hour -- same thing as you: I missed working out on Friday 'cause I tweaked my knee again and I'm overdue.

Instead, I shoveled the driveway. Three inches of very light snow on top of ice. Whee!

Took almost an hour, too.

Una said...

Mmmm carrot bread!

Sorry your run wasn't great, but it sure sounded great to me with the flowers, wildlife and people! I love winter, but I think I've had enough (we got 2 feet of snow this storm!) and am ready for spring!

Enjoy your carrot cake!