Today was a typical busy Sunday in the kitchen.
New and Notable:
• I tweaked my usual banana bread recipe by adding ¼ cup of hazelnut flour and a cup of chopped hazelnuts to make hazelnut-banana bread. It’s pretty tasty, too.
• I tried a new recipe for banana cookies. They came out a little dry and not as banana-y as I would’ve expected. I think the problem was that I didn’t use enough bananas. The recipe called for 2 ¼ cups of mashed bananas and I only had two bananas left after making banana bread. They were large bananas, but I didn’t bother to measure how much I had after mashing them because what was I going to do? Go back to the store? Not likely. So the result was something closer to ordinary chocolate chip cookies. Okay, but not unique.
The rest of the week’s menu:
• Rice balls
• Curried yellow squash and onions
• Curried chickpeas with spinach and tomato
• Steamed rice (brown and jasmine blend)
If it seems like a small menu this week, it is. I still have a loaf of pumpkin bread from last week and I have the banana bread I made today, and they’ll make nice snacks for me. Dan will snack on the carrot blondies and banana-chocolate chip cookies.
It’s a short work week for us, and probably for most folks here in the US. Last year I spent a good part of July 4th working and I’m oh-so-glad not to have that on my horizon this year!
And finally, Tidbit is off on a virtual vacation to visit the Oxbow Hay Company this week, courtesy of the fine folks at 7-bunny-7. Her bag is packed and we're looking forward to her tales of adventure!
Have a great week, everyone!
Today: 1 hr, 45 minute spin
Yesterday: 21 mile run
Friday: scheduled rest day
Thursday: 35 minute elliptical
Wednesday: 45 minute spin
Tuesday: 6 mile run
Monday: 30 minute elliptical