Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekend Recipe Share

I’ve got two new recipes for you today. I had more leftover rice this weekend than usual, so I wanted to do something new with it. Here are the two recipes I tried:

Rice Balls. Okay, it needs a better name, but it’s basically cheese, rice and spices, baked in balls or little cakes like crab cakes. I added extra garlic, red pepper flakes and crumbled dry spinach to mine and they’re very tasty. They go great with a side of steamed or sautéed summer vegetables!

Cinnamon Apple Rice. This tasty baked rice dish is similar in consistency to bread pudding, so if you like bread pudding, you’ll love this. I used a Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious for the apples, and I added a little ginger, since it’s hard to go wrong with ginger and apples. Delish!

Other Weekend Cooking:
  • Steamed rice
  • Chickpea and potato curry
  • Curry zucchini and yellow squash
  • Dehydrated zucchini and yellow squash (to store for when they aren’t in season)
Happy Eating, Friends!

8 comments:

Glenna said...

I've missed your weekend cooking while you were away, and I enjoyed hearing about your new job--the best part to me, although more money is always nice, and it sounds like less stress so far, is the 5 minute away thing. Wow--I'm envious.

RG said...

So ... if you get more money to manage less, then you could pay a flunkie even more! and provide a taste of those good eats now and then too????

Where do we apply???

Anyway, good going .. hope it all keeps working out.

Got a next race yur aiming at?

the Bag Lady said...

The rice balls sound interesting! But you do need to work on that name...conjures up all kinds of weird and bizarre pictures in the Bag Lady's warped little mind!! :)
Oh, and you should see your spinach growing in the Bag Lady's garden!! It's coming along very nicely.

Thomma Lyn said...

Oh, yum -- both recipes sound wonderful! :) Just got back from a hike, and I'm hungry.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Dried spinach? Didn't know there was such a thing but it sounds very handy! Do you make it or buy it? Or did you just mean regular spinach leaves that you hadn't cooked yet?

Anyway, like the idea of rice balls, sounds very tasty.

MaoMao said...

Hmmm, those recipees sound furry innarestin. Do you have a recipee fur toona balls, too?

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Anonymous said...

rice balls?

love.

thanks.

Miz.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Mmmm, yummy!! Very timely for me since I'm working on eating less wheat and wayyyy less meat. In fact no meat, for the most part. So I'm glad to have tuned in right now!