Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Best-Laid Plans

Well, I knew something had to go wrong.

I confirmed the cutover dates on the electricity over and over. I made sure the water and gas switched over to us on the right day. I confirmed and re-confirmed the day and time Evil Comcast could come out and get our cable hooked up for internet access.

But the phone and DSL at the old place? Surely two calls were enough, right?

Uh, no.

I got home today to no internet, no phone, and nothing they can do about it. Oh, the lady who I spoke to was very apologetic about the confusion and wanted to help, but the best she could do was turn on the phone sometime Thursday. DSL restoration needed a three day lead time, and we're out on Friday.

Not worth the hassle.

I don't know how the phone people could've gotten so confused with my instructions to cut off old service on the 14th and start the new on the 9th with an overlap period where I would have service at both places.

I'm less upset about it now than I was earlier this evening, though. We had to bring some stuff to the house tonight, so it was no big deal to drop in at the office and get online. I've got a project I'm working on at home, so I'll have something to keep me busy while I have my evening tea. And the next 48 hours will be pretty serious crunch time on the move.

I have a pic of Tid, all packed up and ready to go, but it's in the camera at the old place, and I'm here at the office, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

If this is the only thing that goes wrong or gets confused, I'll be beyond grateful.

1 comment:

Moby Dick said...

Public Utilities tend to mess with their customers since you can't do anything about it and the people you are talking to live in Bangladesh or Kuala Lumpur or Mongolia.