Sunday, June 08, 2008

Return to Normalcy

It’s great to be home and getting settled again. Even though this was my easiest vacation yet in terms of quickly being able to find the stuff I needed and always having my own pillow, it’s still fantastic to be home.

Tidbit is doing great. She still wasn’t 100% before we left, but she’s there now! When we brought her home Thursday, she went exploring just like she used to, she did some binkies for us and this morning she came bopping down the hall soon after I got up to run. She poked her head in the bedroom door like she used to, with that look on her face like, “Where’s my breakfast, biped?” Every time I get on the computer, she settles at my feet like a little dog. It’s so great to have her back!

The only thing I need now is for my work situation to stabilize. Although my new boss said I could move some things into my office on Friday if I wanted, I had a lot of errands to catch up on, so I didn’t take her up on it. And with the conference on Monday and Tuesday, it looks like I’ll be “homeless” until Wednesday. It’s a very strange feeling to have no office and no university keys. I realize it makes me rather dull, but I am very work-oriented and this sort of thing leaves me unsettled. But I already have a meeting to go to—on Friday. So I really do have a job. Just not an office, keys, a computer, or anything else that makes it feel real. But this will be remedied soon. I’m trying to remember to enjoy this little interlude of being employed but with no responsibilities, since it’s likely the last I can expect before retirement.

I went for a long run this morning, and let’s just say I wasn’t in Pagosa Springs any more! I didn’t miss the hills much, but I started out the door with temps and humidity in the high 80s and was dripping before I’d finished the first mile. I did eighteen miles—a little short of what I would’ve liked, but my body was craving the dry air of the west and my heat tolerance was a little off. I suppose it didn’t help that it was 90 when I got home, with a heat index of 97. Pretty brutal when the humidity keeps your sweat from cooling you. I’ll get my tolerance back quickly, though. The conditions around here are never fun, but one can learn to tolerate them.

But overall, it’s nice to be back, especially with my two furry friends so healthy and happy.

Be it ever so humid, there’s no place like home!

17 comments:

The Furry Fighter said...

welcome back! i am so glad that Tidbit is all recovered...i think i told you that my Meowmie had a similar situation and had to leave her bunny Dubbs with the vet whilst she went on a three week holiday to Vietnam. Dubbs absolutely loved his holiday - he stole everyone's heart at the Vet Place...and most importantly, went on to thrive for another three years despite the tumour on his kidney!

congrats on the run! my Meowmie did a 5km (3miler) last Sunday - without stopping for a walk. She has her first 10km (7mile?) on July 20th - she is very much a beginner runner, and she needs to get out there and train!
x

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Glad you're home! Our weather here is horribly humid and over 90, too. I'm exiled inside.

Asthma sucks.

I miss my bike. Maybe later today, I'll go for a quick two-mile ride and see how it goes.

Anita said...

Fanatastic news! We´re gald that you´re in your home and healthly!

You have reason, vets are horrible... Grrrrr...

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs.

Glenna said...

I'm so glad you are back and that Tid is doing so well! Do we get to see photos of the vacation?
It's humid here too--not unusual in the summer, but unusual that it's so hot and humid so soon.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Glenna, vacation photos are here. Let me know if you have any trouble with the link.

Thomma Lyn said...

Welcome back, Bunnygirl! And I'm so glad that Tid is back to herself and feeling great. :)

Ugh on the heat! It's extremely hot here, too -- 92 degrees, mid-nineties yesterday and the day before, nineties again tomorrow. We'll be hiking tomorrow, but we'll take it extra-easy and be sure to drink a lot.

You're right; there's no place like home! :)

Anonymous said...

sometimes, for me, theres NOTHING BETTER than getting back home.

MizFit

RG said...

Guess we better stop complaining about our cool wet spring ... beats 90 - 90 for me!

Crabby McSlacker said...

So glad to hear TidBit is better!

And a mere 18 miles in hot humid conditions?

(I'd be dead after 2!)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday, I really enjoyed your posts and loved the tips - very useful as we are planning are first road trip in August.
I don't know how you run in that heat I can barely step outside the door at the moment.
Glad Tidbit is all better.

Leah J. Utas said...

So glad Tidbit is better.
Hope you're all refreshed from your holiday.

SeaBreeze said...

18 miles in the morning? That's motivation. Wow!

the Bag Lady said...

Welcome home, BG. Glad to hear everything is back to normal and Tidbit is doing well.
Gosh, can't believe you can run in that kind of weather - I probably wouldn't even be able to walk in that kind of heat and humidity!
Excuse me while I go outside and take a nice, deep breath of cool, dry air!

x said...

You ran eighteen miles in the heat? Or at all? That's amazing. And I love your little moving bunny graphic. I have never liked moving graphics because they jiggle back and forth and are very distracting, but this one is so cute, with the little nose, and the movements so subtle, it's really a step up from anything else I've seen.

Kappa no He said...

So glad Tidbit is 100 percent! And I like that you're known as "biped", ha ha. How often do you run? I really want to start, train myself...this is my goal for this year.

Missicat said...

Glad Tidbit is better! I hear ya about the weather - last weekend I had to get out before 6 am to run 'cause we were having 100 degree humid icky-straight-from-hell weather. Still was a sweaty lump when I finished.

Una said...

Hurray Tidbit! :D

Loved your vacation photos, glad you had a good time. I'm sure you will acclimatize quickly. Humidity is so hard to run in.

I'm sure you'll be all settled in your office in no time!