Thursday, July 09, 2009

Back to Basics

I've decided I'm tired of only managing the pain in my right hip. A few years ago I gave up trying to fix the problem because physical therapists seemed intent on fixing everything but my hip, at $40 per co-pay, three times per week. After months of time and money wasted, I gave up, started buying kinesio tape like it was a hot new fashion trend, learned how to do trigger point therapy for palliative care, and hoped for the best.

I learned enough when I was in physical therapy to know what didn't work and to have a pretty good hunch what would. So this week I started adding some adductor/abductor work into my routine and returned to my childhood dance training to work in some pliés whenever I have a few spare moments. For now I'm sticking to demi-pliés because I'm more stiff than I could've ever thought possible. (What, I'm not a four year-old in pink tights anymore?)

I also found out that they're starting yoga classes twice a week in my office building. It's not free, but the cost is reasonable, and I'm thinking of trying it. I haven't done yoga consistently since the early 90s, and I know it would be good for me. I'm going to find out if the instructor allows one to pay by the class the first couple of times just to check it out, since I wouldn't want to pay for a full month only to find it's not a good class for me.

If I can fix this hip problem, I can go back to working on speed rather than just endurance and maybe finally get my Boston Marathon qualifying time. I would also be able to return to triathlon. Ironman has been a dream of mine for a long time, but hasn't been remotely realistic with this chronic issue dogging me.

So there you have it. I'm actually doing something about my hip and after a successful first week of daily action, I'm feeling positive about it. I'm tired of not being able to enjoy my hobby to the fullest.

8 comments:

Thomma Lyn said...

That's fabulous news. Good luck, and I'm glad you'd get to go back to triathlon. Ironman sounds cool. :-D

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Is it a problem with the femoral pad or the balance of the muscles around the hip joint?

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

It has all the hallmarks of an alignment issue.

Alice said...

if i could type out the sound of my jaw dropping and hitting the ground i would. you are nothing shy of a wonder! amazed it what all you do!

bless your precious everything!!!!!!!!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Then as you suspect Yoga should be the thing. My chiro gave me a great technique for re-positioning the Femoral pad, figured I inquire just in case it was needed......Happy Yoga!

Rachel said...

Good for you. Hip weakness is the most common problem in women, causing ITB issues, knee problems, all sorts of things. I'm always working on my abdcutors!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ahh, we should talk hips. I'm in Round 2 with mine and learned something interesting yesterday that you runners ought to know...

RoadBunner said...

I hope you get your hip under control! The PT gave me lots of hip exercises, too. Can't say it did anything for my shin or foot but I'm going to keep doing them. I was SO sore after the first time I did it, I figure it must be a huge weak area for me.

I am also interested in trying yoga.