Saturday, September 22, 2007

Campus Run

I did a solid fifteen mile run today, so I guess I’m no longer under whatever jinx was making my long runs so horrible in August and the first half of September. I stayed close to campus today, like I did last Saturday. I’m sure I’ll get bored with this at some point, but I hope not. There’s always something going on, something new to see, and it’s fantastically convenient to always be so close to water fountains and restrooms. To use my office building, I need to carry my key and access card, but I’m also getting a sense for which buildings are open on Saturdays.

One thing that annoys me about running around campus though, is that we’ve got a lot of building projects going on and it seems that no sooner do I pick out a route I like, than work crews start tearing it up. And I swear I’m not exaggerating! They’ve torn up about a quarter mile of sidewalk that I was using to get to the gym, and now they’ve blocked off all the parking lots and sidewalks around the Law College. It’s very annoying, especially since it doesn’t look like the construction along the bayou will be done anytime soon, either. There are workarounds for all these issues, and I try to take the long view that I’ll be very happy with the end result of all these work crews and bulldozers, but in the day-to-day, it makes for a lot of re-routing.

Case in point: today’s run was supposed to be thirteen miles, but after I had to change my route, it ended up being fifteen. Okay, so it meant I could have a little extra saag paneer at lunch, but still…

Recent Workouts
Monday: 30 minute elliptical, 10 minute row
Tuesday: 30 minute elliptical, 10 minute row
Wednesday: 4 mile run
Thursday 30 minute elliptical, 10 minute row
Friday: scheduled rest day
Saturday: 15 mile run

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Believe me, I know how inconvenient it is with construction everywhere! I try to look at it as good for the economy, but it is a major pain! My bike trail, closest to work, has been torn up all summer with work crews working on bridge overpasses. I am still paranoid enough that it makes me nervous trying to get through there, particularly when they have big cranes, bulldozers, dump trucks, etc. working in progress whenever I try to use it (they start at 7 am and go until dark 6 days a week). At least for me, the end is near since they will have to be done by winter!

Una said...

Hmmm... I noticed the same thing at Carleton U. Interesting!

Glad you had a solid run! Thanks for your comments, I'm still catching up!