Saturday, April 26, 2008

Runnin’ in the Rain

It wasn’t my plan to run in the rain this morning, but since it was only a light shower and worse was predicted for Sunday, I put on one of my fancy vented running jackets and headed out. I stayed close to home, doing campus loops. After six miles I was hot and the rain had become a sprinkle, so I went home and dropped off the jacket. The rest of the run went okay but was painful at the end. I run on harder surfaces with less variety when I stay on campus, and many of the sidewalks have smooth pebbles embedded in their surface which makes them slippery in the rain. I have to alter my stride, which I think contributes to the sore muscles at the end.

Or maybe it was just one of those days. It happens.

I’ve got a new recipe I’m trying, for spinach-cheese bread. The recipe only gives bread machine instructions, and I don’t have a bread machine. But (scary realization) I do know how to make bread without a machine, so I’ve got the dough rising overnight and in the morning I can add the spinach and cheese, set it for a final rise in the bread pan, and bake. I’ll be sure to post the results, along with instructions, if it turns out well.

I also made carrot-apple loaves tonight and will do pumpkin bread tomorrow. No banana bread this week because Dan ate all the bananas.

Speaking of Dan, he’s finally going to graduate this December. It feels like he’s been on the fifty-year degree plan, so at this point I’m more relieved than excited for him. It's going to be great to be able to go on vacation sometime other than late May. And even better, I won’t get emails from him at 11:00 at night asking me to proof his paper that’s due in the morning. (Yeah, he’s lucky he’s still alive, forget graduating.)

For Dan, graduating will be quite an accomplishment, since he was one of those barrio boys tracked into woodshop and told to learn a trade. His stepfather told him college was only for “rich white kids” and it took Dan until his thirties to realize his stepfather was full of it. For me, college was a given. My father has a doctorate and I used to tag along to campus with him when he was a professor. A college campus felt as welcoming as a shopping mall to me, and far more interesting. But for Dan, this has been a big journey and a chance to prove to himself that he’s good enough, and always was. Now he’s even making noises about grad school. All I have to say is he better not expect me to proof his papers at 11:00 at night!

This Week's Workouts
Monday: no workout-stuck in late meeting at work
Tuesday: 8 mile run
Wednesday: 45 minute spin, abs and weights
Thursday: 35 minute elliptical
Friday: scheduled rest day
Saturday: 20 mile run

5 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yay for Dan! I, too, was always expected to go to college and I'm now the Black Sheep of the family because I'm not Dr. Gottfried of some sort.

I think it's much better to work hard and exceed expectations. This garbage of being a second-class citizen (mind you, there's no PhD in creative writing. In other areas, yes. But not in straight writing) just because you didn't get the proper letters after your name can be difficult.

the Bag Lady said...

Good for Dan! It's always inspiring to hear of people who don't allow other people's expectations of them to rule.
And your bread sounds wonderful - can hardly wait to find out how it turned out.

Jen in Budapest said...

Hey. I just found your blogspot. I'm planning to do my first sprint-tri this summer. Thanks for posting your workout experiences.

I totally want your spinach-cheese bread recipe! Will you email it to me? jenpell@gmail.com
Thanks so much. :D

RG said...

Spinach-cheese ... uuuhhhh I dunno. Guess I'll stick to the banana bread and carrot cake!

Very wise to get a degree, eh? Grad school maybe depends on the subject and what it does for future employment opportunity.

Una said...

Yay Dan! Degrees seem tougher as we get older, I think because we put more pressure on ourselves. He's awesome!

Glad for you both on the vacation front!