Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Basic Sunday

Well, somehow 80% chance of rain turned into no rain at all for today. Not that I’m complaining, and I’m sure everyone doing the March of Dimes walk this morning was relieved. It’s a big event on my campus and draws walkers from all over the city. From our new digs we were able to see the walkers out our back windows. Why did we not walk? Speaking for myself, it’s only six miles, so what’s the point after running twenty yesterday?

I promised a spinach bread update, and it came out pretty good, although if I make it again I’ll probably double the amount of pepper in the recipe and maybe try parmesan instead of cheddar cheese. I just can’t leave well enough alone!

Here’s the basic recipe.

And if you don’t have a bread machine, it’s still pretty simple to make.

1. Heat the water to about 110 degrees or so and mix with the yeast and sugar.
2. Go do something else for about 10-15 minutes so the yeast can get bubbly.
3. Add in all the other ingredients except the spinach and cheese. Be sure to add the flour slowly, by half-cups or so. This makes it easier to blend everything together.
4. Cover and set aside, preferably in a warm place. Let the dough rise at least a few hours. I recommend letting it rise overnight so you don’t have to worry about whether or not it doubled in size or whatever.
5. Punch down the dough and mix in the spinach and cheese. Once everything is blended nicely, form a loaf and put it in an oiled bread pan.
6. Go find something else to do for at least half an hour. I took this opportunity to go run some errands.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes at 375, or until done.

This bread is very tasty toasted and with butter. Yum!

Today’s Cooking
Spinach-Cheese Bread
Pumpkin Bread (recipe makes 2 loaves)
Rice
Pumpkin-Chickpea Curry (using the pumpkin left over from the pumpkin bread)
Curry Zucchini and Onions
Fried Rice (using last week’s leftover rice)
Zucchini Chips (dehydrated zucchini with salt and spices—road snacks for upcoming vacation)

Today’s Workout
2 hour spin
Abs and weights

Today’s Link
Mine is the Featured Story in the May issue of Word Catalyst Magazine! It's flash fiction, less than 1,000 words. Go read!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang that's a short walk! When I was in HS (i'm dating myself here) the March of Dimes was 20 miles! I remember it being a pretty much all day event and we loved it. Then it went to 15 miles. The bread sounds yummers :-) Today I actually cooked - chicken and rice - i rarely cook!

Anonymous said...

That spinach bread sounds scrumptious, and I'm like you -- I keep tweaking recipes and tweaking and tweaking. I can't leave well enough alone, either! I guess it comes of being writers: we write rough drafts, then we edit, edit, edit, tweak, tweak, tweak. :)

the Bag Lady said...

Loved your story!
The bread sounds good - must try. As soon as I remember to pick up some spinach!

Kappa no He said...

I just bought three big bundles of spinach. I was going to try spinach keema curry, but I think I might try that bread too. Yum!

Okay, off to read the story now!

RG said...

Liked the story! Does Tidbit know the nice complement???

Anonymous said...

The bread sounds awesome--and congrats on the flash fiction! I must go check it out.