Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic Rant

Okay, I just got done watching the men's 4x100 relay and did I watch the same race, or are they seriously overlooking Cullen Jones? Sure, I'm impressed by anchor Jason Lezak's world record-breaking swim and the way he caught Bernard, but HELLO, it was Cullen Jones who closed the gap against France on the third relay leg to put the U.S. team in position to win. Lezak might've still pulled off a world record relay leg, but it was Jones who put him in position to get the gold.

Grrr...stupid TV announcers. I sure hope the print writers give Cullen Jones the credit he deserves.

Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled blog reading. If you're not reading my blog on a blog reader/RSS feed of some kind, there's a regular weekend post just below. Scroll on down!

2 comments:

RoadBunner said...

In an event like this where it was SO close, all four of them deserve equal props. If any of them had given any less the outcome would probably had been different. I agree that it is wrong to glorify just one of the swimmers. I even read somewhere that they think Phelps should give part of his million $ bonus for eight golds to Lezak. That is just dumb.

Sarah said...

Cullen Jones was the slowest guy on the US team (though AWESOME, and I am in no way meaning to disrespect him...as if anybody in that whole race was actually "slow"). The US was in 1st place after the 2nd leg, and in 2nd after Cullen's leg. That said, he did his job and kept it close.

I do wish they'd shown more of Cullen though. I saw him getting interviewed this morning, and he said he wasn't able to celebrate immediately because he was still making his way back to the blocks after getting out of the pool. So he's not in any of the celebration photos. :(