Thursday, December 02, 2004

Marathon training frustrations

I have finally gotten all my calendars at work and at home turned to December so I'm no longer living in the past.

I received an email from the Houston Marathon yesterday reminding me that the marathon is only six weeks away. Great. Just pressure a girl, why don't you? I can't tell this week if my foot feels worse or not. Sometimes I think it hurts, but then I move it a bit and it doesn't hurt any more. I'm hoping it's only my imagination. I've had imaginary pain after recovering from bone stress and from tendonitis, so maybe it's all in my head. The arch feels a little tight, but that might not mean anything bad. I'll put my foot in the water jet at the hot tub at the Y tonight, and that should loosen it up. And I'll know more about what's going on when I go for my Saturday run. I need to be able to do nine or ten miles this weekend if I'm going to get back on track for a January 16 marathon.

But back to the email... They mentioned that everyone finishing under four hours will be eligible for an expenses-paid trip to the Athens Marathon. One male and one female will be selected at random. Well, hell. It just figures that this would be another year when I can't train competitively because of injury. And to think that if I hadn't gotten this weird random injury that I don't even know the cause of, a sub-four finish would've been doable. Okay, so I never win anything really super cool like a trip to Athens, so it's almost guaranteed that my name wouldn't have been picked, but... I coulda been a contender!

So I will console myself tonight with a long session at the gym and maybe a big bowl of oatmeal and pumpkin butter when I get home. I know it sounds weird, but it's really, really good!

Today's Workouts:
Morning: 45 minutes core and stretch cords
Evening: Kickbox class, Pilates, Body Pump, and either a short swim or deep water "sprint" session

No comments: