Saturday, February 19, 2005

Didn't fall off the planet...

... it just hasn't been a very exciting week.

I spent most of the week either in meetings or trying to get as much done as possible before my boss leaves for India. He'll be gone for three weeks, thank goodness. I'll be able to get a lot done without him around!

Isn't it funny how our bosses often prevent us from working effectively? My husband's boss was out sick this week, and Dan came home talking joyfully about how much easier it was to do things without the boss around. Not that his boss is a bad one-- we've both known him for years and are fond of him. But he's the type of guy whose words have trouble keeping up with his brain, and his hyperkineticism exhausts you before you can even react.

So with my boss and his picky-picky, makework ways out of the picture, maybe I can dig out from under some of the avalanche that's fallen on us since we had to let the temp go and since I had to start spending 5-10 hours per week in meetings that are more or less useless. To make things even better, my dotted-line boss is finally expressing an interest in helping me get additional office help. Hooray! It only took five months. She tried to tell me that it was unprofessional that I hadn't come forward with a business case before now, but I cut that off by pointing out that up until now she and my regular boss have both been unsupportive every time I've suggested it. What am I supposed to do, go over their heads? I've been tempted, but with everyone counselling, "Wait. Things are moving. Things will change soon," I've tried to do just that... wait.

Anyway. Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is real this time.

This was my massage week, but due to meetings and schedule conflicts, I wasn't able to see Mary until Thursday. It kinda threw my week out of whack, but I was ready for my run today. My pace was good, even at the end, but I got a late start and had to make three pit stops, so I got home much later than I had wanted to. I also lost time stopping to fuss over my GPS. I ran an older route today and wasn't 100% sure of the distance, so I wore my GPS, which worked fine when I started out but started acting flakey as the rain clouds moved in. I couldn't get a signal at all after about 12.7 miles. But by then I was back where I knew my mileages, and I think my overall distance came to about 15.3 or so. But I'll call it 15.

Not much of interest happened on my run today. I saw an accident on Memorial Drive, but didn't actually see it happen. I just saw the banged-up cars and traffic jam afterwards. I also noticed that the city is starting to put up wire fencing along Memorial like they do every year about this time. This can only mean that the trail riders are coming through next weekend! I've never been a cowgirl and I think the whole Texas-Western schtick is silly, but I love to see the trail riders. I'll have to be sure to drag myself out of bed early next weekend so I can watch them go by!

Recent Workouts
Monday: 45 minutes core and strength training, 30 minutes elliptical
Tuesday: 45 minutes core and strength training, 55 minutes bike - Spinervals 11.0 Big Gear Strength
Wednesday: 45 minutes core and strength training, 45 minute run
Thursday: 45 minutes core and strength training
Friday: Overslept. No workout.
Saturday: 15 mile run

No comments: