Monday, February 07, 2005

Monday... and weekend workouts

Another week, and I'm determined not to let my job get to me. My schedule is filling up with useless meetings and overlong trainings, but I need to try and take a better attitude toward it - just shut up and deal with it. It's not like I can change things, because I've certainly tried. I'm just not important enough.

The weekend went by way too fast, as always. My Saturday run was kind of interesting. I saw an armadillo near the start of my run, which is something that doesn't usually happen. Armadillos aren't as smart as rabbits, who know that as long as we runners stick to the trail and keep moving, we're harmless. The armadillos see a human in the vicinity and immediately take off into the underbrush. As did this one, so I didn't get to see much of it. The rabbit grazing nearby was totally unconcerned by my presence, though. It must've heard that I'm a bit fond of bunnies.

Once I came around to the Allen Parkway side of the bayou, I accidentally found myself in a cross country race of some kind. It was kind of amusing because the runners seemed to be going in all directions with no rhyme or reason to their movements. Okay, there were little orange flags in the grass, but they didn't seem to be marking anything in particular. Runners were on the trail going my direction, on the trail going the opposite way, crossing the trail, making loops in the grass, and more or less loping about at random. Even the race photographer seemed confused, because I think she took my picture. I'll have to try to find out what race this was and check. Hey, I was trying to stay out of the race, but it was impossible to tell what was part of it and what wasn't. A few regular signs with words on them would've been helpful. But no harm done. I did my best to stay clear of anyone wearing a number, and by the time I crossed to the west side of Waugh Drive, I was out of the fray.

That was my only real excitement for the morning. I went farther than I had planned in River Oaks and on a whim, took a different route home. I didn't have my GPS with me, so I had to guess at my mileage, but I think it was around 14 miles.

Dan and I decided to skip the Big Chill ride on Sunday, based on an evening weather report predicting 80% chance of rain by 11 am. So of course it didn't rain at all. Dan got a bit grumpy over it, but I always have a Plan B and set up my bike on the trainer. Oddly, my legs just weren't up for it, though. Thank goodness I didn't find this out part way through a 50 mile ride with bad headwinds. So I cut my two hour trainer session to one hour and called it a day.

I don't know why it's taking me so long to get my legs back after last month's illness, but I'm getting really tired of this. I suppose I could go work on my swimming, now that I can no longer use my lungs as an excuse to slack on my pool time. But... I really don't like swimming. It's boring. It's cold. And it's wet.

Recent Workouts
Saturday: Run, approx 14 miles
Sunday: Spinervals 9.0 Have Mercy - 1st hour only, 45 minute walk
Monday: 45 minutes core and strength training, 30 minutes elliptical

No comments: