Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Gray days

Cold. Damp. Drizzly.

This is what passes for winter in Houston.

It's been like this for several days now, just gray, damp and dull. I decided to skip FrostBike on Sunday because I just couldn't get excited about it. If it doesn't rain (as currently predicted) I'll try for the Big Chill ride this coming weekend. They're advertising homemade cookies at the rest stops and chili at the ride finish. Now that out to make up for spending several hours riding through winter-ugly Katy!

I think I've found the source of the problems with my rectus femoris. I've changed my morning leg routine, cutting out one of the exercises I used to do every day and the problem seems to have stopped. Odd if that did the trick, because the exercise itself never caused me any trouble. But it's best not to ask too many questions about these sorts of things. When something is working, don't go messing it up.

My assistant is back this week, so I am no longer the highest paid mail-sorter at my university. This gives me plenty of time to hang around in meetings like the one this afternoon that was supposed to end at 4 and dragged on until 5 while we devolved into endless speculation over how many auditors can dance on the tip of a ball-point pen. Or some such silliness. Honestly, you'd think I was the only one in those meetings with other things they could be doing than carrying on these philosophical and ultimately pointless ramblings about how budgets might be done if we all had different names, green hair, and spent half the year on Mars.

So it was nice to come home through the endless gray mists and find my critters safe and warm, waiting for me. What a life! I often look at them and think we humans are so misguided. We aren't the superior species - they are. After all, they aren't the ones trudging off to the office in the rain.

Recent Workouts
Saturday: 14 mile run
Sunday: 2 hour bike, Spinervals 9.0 Have Mercy
Monday: massage, no workout
Tuesday: 45 minutes core and strength training, 45 minutes bike Spinervals 1.0 No Slackers Allowed

No comments: