Sunday, May 27, 2007

Home Again!
















We got home Saturday evening to find the power off, due to a storm. But after the light company repaired the transformer, we still didn’t have power because the lightning had caused a surge which blew out something here on the property. Luckily the apartment management called in an electrician right away, but by morning we still had no power. A good thing it wasn’t very hot! And a good thing we had some glow sticks! They’re cheap and you can set them all over your home to help you find your way around. They’re safer than candles, and the trick is to set them out as navigational guides, like night lights. Then use your lanterns, candles, or flashlights only in the room you happen to be in.

I got up early this morning, still no power, and thought I’d do a long run. But it didn’t go well. I’ve been having trouble breathing since we got back to Houston, and my lungs never cleared on this morning’s run. That wasn’t the whole problem, though. I think I was just more tired than I realized, because at around mile five I realized that I was just deeply exhausted, all the way through. I wanted to push myself to finish at least twelve miles, but I cut it short at nine.

I should know better. A similar thing happened a couple years ago when I got back from vacation and the very next morning went out on a ride where I suffered a major bonk under conditions that shouldn’t have been a problem. It’s funny how you don’t realize how tired you really are after a trip.

But I’m pretty proud of myself for keeping to an exercise schedule while I was on vacation. There were only two days when I didn’t run, hike, or work out in a hotel exercise room. I also got a deep tissue massage, and ate pretty healthy. I can’t get over how in the last few years, it’s gotten so much easier to get a fresh salad, vegetarian meals, and a hotel with a workout room, even in small towns!

While I was gone, my bike was at the shop, and after I test it out on the trainer tomorrow, I think I’ll be ready to hit the road! I got the rear wheel fixed, the chain and cog set replaced, and a general tune-up. So I should be road-worthy now. Anyone up for a ride? Next week, please. Or the week after. I’m tired.

My vacation posts are all up at my vacation blog.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Get some sleep! You need a vacation after your vacation.

Vickie said...

Welcome back, although I will miss your vacation posts. If I lived closer, a ride would be great!

Unknown said...

Welcome back! And, WTG on getting in the exercise.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who feels kind of wiped out after a vacation.

It's great to have you back! And thanks for all those pictures on the other blog--it was great to see where you were.

Ellie Hamilton said...

How come vacations are so hard? Must be the interruption of regular routines, or something.

Thanks for your support surrounding my Vermont marathon!

LauraHinNJ said...

So you're back! Somehow I missed the link to your vacation blog earlier - I have some catching up to do there!

Moby Dick said...

Rest and relaxation is the key! After a vacation you need at least a day or two to recover!!