Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A Bit of Sad News

In the early '90s, I dated a guy who had a really neat group of friends. They were musicians, artists, readers and philosophers, and we used to gather at each others' homes to discuss the books and topics of the day over merlot and zinfandel. There were parties and outings for Vietamese food. There were gatherings at bars big and small when the guitarist in our clique had a show. We discussed the affairs of the world over drinks at the pub, and there was even a wedding--the coolest, hippest one I ever attended.

A few years after I broke up with the guy and lost my honorary membership in this eclectic group, I went back to school and took a restaurant job at a nicely upscale place so I could schedule my work around my classes. One of our bar regulars was an acquaintance from the old gang, philosophy professsor Leslie Marenchin. He would sit at the bar nursing a single glass of wine and when I had a few spare minutes I would chat with him about the state of the world and the nature of humanity. Or just the weather. It never mattered with him. He was a gentle soul who was always happy to see a friend, even if there was really nothing to say.

Today I found out he died over the weekend in a fall at his home. He was only 54. Apparently he fell down a flight of stairs and hit his head on a tile floor. Friends coming for a book club meeting found him.

I didn't know Leslie well, but he was always kind to me, even in my harum-scarum days when I probably didn't deserve it. I'm saddened that he won't be around any more to share his thoughtful intelligence with friends and students, and that such a silly, pointless accident claimed his life.

Be careful out there, friends.

12 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

So sorry to hear this, BG. One never knows when something will happen....

Leah J. Utas said...

Sorry for your loss, Bunnygirl.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Leslie sounds like he was good guy, it seems so unreasonable that someone like that should be snatched away. Hugs. And you are right "be careful".

Una said...

Oh that's so sad. I'm so sorry.

Try to take comfort in knowing he passed away waiting for friends and good conversation, and probably never knew what happened. This is what the doctor's told us when my Mom passed away from a head injury resulting from a fall, that her last thought would have been "oops!". It helped.

HUGS

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Bunnygirl *hugs* The nice ones always leave too soon :(

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Aww, man, that's rough. What a weird freak thing.

Sorry for the loss, my friend. Even if we lose touch with people, they still sometimes manage to stay in touch with us, huh?

RoadBunner said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It makes you stop and appreciate every day we have.

R.J. Keller said...

It really is the small kindnesses that stick with us, that make a difference. What a wonderful gift to have had this friend in your life. But such a tragedy to have him taken away, especially this way. Big, big hugs to you as you mourn, Bunnygirl.

Missicat said...

How sad. It does seem we lose the good ones too early!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear the sad news. :(

Thomma Lyn said...

((((((bunnygirl)))))) What sad news. Leslie sounds like he was a sweet fellow, and how horrible that his life was snatched away like that.

Sending big hugs, and the Ballicai are sending gentle purrs.

Anonymous said...

does sound like a wonderful man :( sorry to hear - glad the memories are cherished though