Saturday, December 06, 2008

Saturday Check-In

I tried a new running route today, through the medical center and museum district, then a loop around Rice University before heading back home. I don't know if it was the cold weather or what, but I found the new route a bit tedious. It had no repeats, though, so I might try it again. I'm always looking for new routes that don't involve driving someplace first.

In bunny news, Cadbury has decided he is a cat. He digs in his litterboxes and flings litter everywhere. It's paper litter and easy to clean up, but it's still annoying.

I have a new recipe to try tomorrow: roasted root vegetables. Central Market's deli has a good version of this, but for a price that's comical in comparison to the price of the vegetables themselves. I'm going to add yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes to my version, so we'll see how this goes. And yes, I actually bought a rutabega. I'm a sick puppy.

I may also try to make this spiced nuts recipe before the holidays. It sounds similar to a recipe I've tasted before and I love the simplicity of using a crock pot.

I guess I better go clean up the bunny litter now. Maybe I'll get a mirror and the cat and try to explain a few things to Cadbury. He is so not a cat, even though he just jumped into my lap, expecting me to pet him.

7 comments:

Glenna said...

How cool that he jumps into your lap! I'd put up with the flung litter for that!

It always kills me how much it costs to buy prepared foods, and how much better they taste at home.

Hef's Mom said...

I made roasted squash not long ago, beware the rutabaga. Its a thanksgiving tradition on Hef's dad's side of the family and Hef's dad had to use a mallet and a knife to carve it up!

Michele said...

LOL at Hef's Mom's comment. Rutabegas are tough to chop, no question! But they taste great roasted with other veggies. I'm trying to eat more vegetarian and so am really enjoying your recipes and advice.

My bunny was very messy with his litter box---I figured it was just a guy bunny thing to do. :-) Good luck teaching Cadbury to be a little more tidy; let us know how that goes!

the Bag Lady said...

I confess, I like rutabaga - mashed with a little butter and brown sugar. So healthy....:) I had them volunteering all over my garden this year because they went to seed the year before.

RG said...

Oh Cadbury has a geat imagination .. don't go stifling it now. Just live through it - even when he thinks he has become an elephant even!

Parsnips .. maybe some of them too?

Roasted veggies are the best. That WAS funny about whacking the rutegeggie!

Vickie said...

Great nut recipe! I've had these before but never made them. And anything in the crockpot has to be so easy! And fortunately I already have 99% of the ingredients. Thanks for sharing.

Thomma Lyn said...

*GIGGLE*! My little black cat, Dorydoo, does the litter-flinging thing, creating a huge pile of litter. I call it her Gobi Desert. She does it every day at the same time after she eats her wet food, and I can practically set my watch by her.

Cadbury the Lapbun -- what a cutiepie!