Sunday, May 21, 2006

Saturday Run

I sure am glad it's the weekend! Work has been totally insane, but it's a good feeling to be steadily ticking the most troublesome items off my To Do list. And with both of my bosses out of town on Monday, I'm not really dreading the start of next week too much.

I really need a vacation, though. We're working on that.

In the meantime, I'm still in trying to get myself back in shape so I can train again and not just work out. My hip has been clicking a bit, but wasn't too troublesome this week.

Today I did an hour on the elliptical machine, broken up into two 30-minute sessions. Then I went out for a bayou run. The plan was to take the trails past Sabine and into downtown, cross over at the Wortham Center and head back. This worked out fine, except that there has been a sidewalk artist at work just outside the Sabine Lofts all week, and there's no good way to run around the area she has roped off. The grass is thick and squishy, perfect for turning an ankle, so instead I made a detour that added a few tenths of a mile, but at least kept me on asphalt and level ground.

Coming back up Allen Parkway after turning around at the Wortham Center, I came upon a group walk of some kind. Although there were some signs posted along their route, I still couldn't make out what the cause or occasion was. There were a lot of walkers, though, and they had special shirts, cardboard fans and all that. But no water stops. Odd, considering the weather report was predicting a high in the low 90s.

Overall, I had an okay run, but not one of my better ones. My legs felt tired. Maybe it was the hills or the lack of sleep. I don't know. But I was glad to get home and ice down with my sweet bunny by my side.

My plan is to run again in the morning, but on a flat course this time. We'll see how that turns out. I'm kind of liking these shorter runs, but I miss my long two and three-hour running adventures. I wish my hip and IT band would hurry up and get better.

Recent Workouts
Thursday: 25 minutes treadmill (too hot to run outside), 20 minutes elliptical
Friday: Scheduled rest day
Saturday: 60 minutes elliptical, 7 mile run

1 comment:

Rachel said...

wow, an hour on the ellipitical AND a run! That's a lot! My favorite is to nap with the buns after a run. that's the best.