Monday, March 05, 2007

Takes a Licking. . .

Last week I got fed up with quartz watches that are forever needing replacement batteries. I got on Ebay and for $6 bought a little wind up watch. It arrived in record time, as if the seller had psychically intuited my future purchase and already put it in the mail before I even bought it.

Upon receiving it, I wound it up, set the time, and started monitoring it. Other than Sunday, when I forgot to wind it, it keeps terrific time. And it’s so gosh-darn cute! It’s made of stainless steel with a white face, black numerals and a black strap, just like my stupid quartz watch that needs a new battery at least twice a year.

I’m not sure how old the watch is, but it’s a Timex and was listed on Ebay in the 1940-1969 category, making it at least almost as old as I am, if not a decade or two older. And still going strong!

We sure knew how to make things back in the day, didn’t we?

Sometimes old ways are best!

Recent Workouts
Sunday: 90 minute spin
Monday: 30 minute elliptical

5 comments:

Stacia said...

Pictures, please! I love watches!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Here's the ebay pic, for as long as it's up: my watch

I don't think this pic really captures how nice it is, though.

Maybe I'll take a picture of my own.

I put it to my ear tonight. It was the first time I'd heard the ticking of a windup watch since the '70s. It made me smile. :-)

Vickie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for your kind words about my dad. I hope to keep in contact with you.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Too cool!!

writtenwyrdd said...

There are also watches that self wind, just from teh motion of your body throughout the day. Used to have this fancy-dancy Seiko diving watch that was like that. It was a man's watch, though, and big and bulky in accordance with the guy's principle of equipment: Bigger is Better, lol.