Thursday, January 01, 2009

Hoppy New Year!














Cadbury: Boy, that was some party!

Bunnygirl Unlike the rabbit pictured above, I had a very low-key New Year's Eve. When I was in the restaurant/club business, we always referred to NYE as "Amateur Night" and I still don't much see the point of it. Maybe I'm getting old.

We had luminarias last night, which was nice. It was too wet on Christmas Eve, so the Civic Association placed them for New Year's instead, and Dan and I went for a walk to enjoy them. We ended up at a friend's house where we hung out for awhile, chatting and playing with their bunny, Ava. And that was about the extent of our New Year's excitement, other than watching a silly movie.

2008 wasn't one of my favorite years. I lost my dear Tidbit and we had a hurricane. But I got a new job that I love, I made friends with a wacky new bunny, and I had the satisfaction of seeing that my hurricane preparations were spot-on. I moved my 403(b) funds into annuities long before the market crashed, so my finances didn't take a beating. And I went to some fun places on my summer vacation, including the hot springs at Pagosa Springs, Colorado.

I don't expect 2009 to be a very good year in the macro. The economy is a mess and nothing I read suggests things will get better in the immediate future. But on a micro, personal level we can all seek that happy place with friends, family, pets, and hobbies that bring us contentment. The world has always been a troubled place. It's up to us to find that inner sanctum where we can find refuge from the storm and nurture the positive things that fortify us to carry on.

Make this year a joyous one, friends!

12 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

Wise words, Bunnygirl. Have a wonderful 2009.

Thomma Lyn said...

Looks like Cadbury has been partying hearty! What a precious little fellow he is. :) He and MaoMao would have had a heck of a New Year's Party together!

2008 has certainly been an up and down year. Plenty of good things, but challenging and difficult things, too. That's the way life tends to roll along. Hills and curves a-plenty. At least they build muscle. :-D

I share your thoughts on 2009. And what wise words about seeking that happy place and cherishing that inner sanctum which keeps us strong and fortified for life's journey.

(((((hugs))))). Thank you for being a good friend. And I wish you and yours all the best in 2009!

RoadBunner said...

Happy New Year to you, Dan & Cadbury! I love your sentiments about 2009.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year all of you!! May 2009 be a great year for all, on a personal level :)

RG said...

I too liked your sentiments! We will later post a picture of Lucky where he looks to have been at the same party as Cadbury!

I do try to remember that sailors do not improve their skills on calm seas.

Happy New Year!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

A tired party bun you got there. How nice that the friends you visited had the preferred sort of animal housemate. Yes, I think 2009 is one where we just keep plowing our own fields best we can. Happy '09 to you and Dan and of course Cadbury. :0)

Glenna said...

I prefer to think of the economy as a "challenge." Or an "opportunity." No sense buying stocks when they're high. And it might be a good time to refinance. And deflation means it's possible to buy more useless crap more cheaply than last year. Let's drink a toast to silver linings!

the Bag Lady said...

Happy New Year to you and Dan, Bunnygirl. And of course to Cadbury, that wild and crazy party animal!

Yes, we all need to concentrate on the positive for 2009!

Una said...

Happy New Year to you! Wishing you the very best in 2009.

Missicat said...

Happy New Year! Hope there was some bunny aspirin handy...

Vickie said...

Hoppy New Year Cadbury! Happy New Year Bunnygirl!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to u!