Saturday, January 06, 2007

Last Long Run!

Well, today’s run was only supposed to be between six and eight miles, but a couple miles into it, I decided the route was boring and I changed it a little. I ended up with 10.5 miles, instead. Oops.

It wasn’t a good run. My legs felt heavy and sluggish, and I had some new aches and pains. I think I’m still getting over my 23-miler before Christmas, and then there’s all those little things that come up during taper that are as much psychological as anything else. But my base is good and I need to relax and trust my many years of distance running to carry me through this. My high school band director was always heartened when our last rehearsal before a concert sucked. He considered it a sign that our next performance would be good, and he was usually right. So I’m going to hope that this theory applies to running, too.

My plan for the next seven days is as follows:

• daily stretching and use of foam roller (twice a day, if possible)
• massage on Tuesday
• no more running—just walking and elliptical
• okay, I might get on the bike tomorrow (Sunday)
• reduce calorie intake to match reduced exercise (soooo not fun)
• make time for at least two hot tub and sauna sessions at the Downtown Y
• get more sleep
• avoid germs and sick people

That oughta do it! It’s not a fun plan, especially the calorie-counting, but it’s only for a week.

I think, though, that I won’t try for the Houston Marathon again after this one. I seem to always get injured when the weather turns cooler, maybe because I’m so sensitive to cold that I tense up and get careless. And then there’s the whole issue of winter colds and bronchitis. It’s stressful to be surrounded by people going through their winter illnesses. I’m afraid to open doors, go to meetings, and even go out in public. It’s not a fun way to spend the holiday season or my first days back at work. But the threat of bronchitis is quite real for me, as the last two years have proven.

And then there's the whole holiday eating thing. Having a taper that coincides with one of the most fudge-laden times of the year is wrong, wrong, WRONG. I can't have any fun with the holiday goodies because I can't do what I need to do to burn them off. It makes me grumpy. I run for chocolate, after all.

In sum, I don’t need the stress and aggravation of getting ready for a winter marathon. I think I’ll stick with summer and fall events from now on, even if that means doing them in other parts of the country. My hometown marathon may be cheap in terms of dollars, but the physical and psychological toll it takes on me is more than I need.

With that said, here’s to a healthy week and a fantasic Birthday Marathon next Sunday!

Recent Workouts
Monday: 45 minute elliptical
Tuesday: 5.5 mile run – bayou trails
Wednesday: 30 minute elliptical
Thursday: rest
Friday: rest
Saturday: 10.5 mile run

6 comments:

Moby Dick said...

10.5 miles? You are like some kind of exercise machine. If I could work-out with you only once a week I would lose the next fifty pounds in a couple of months.

Una said...

Great idea to search for other races. I don't know how you can maintain training over the holidays!

Great job getting the 10.5 miler in. You're going to have a great race!

Cliff said...

Bunny Girl,

That's funny about running too long. I tend to do that too. Yes, be ware of those sick ppl...stay away :)

Enjoy your taper...

Rachel said...

I know what you mean about running for chocolate!!! Me too! Tapering is always hard. You look forward to it and then end up being grumpy. Definitely plan on doing something to keep your sanity but make it easy--like you were saying--walking or ellipitical. You're going to do great. I think that's right about having a bad workout before your star performance. It always seems to work out that way. You're going to do awesome.

Bernita said...

Bunny, thank you for your good wishes.

spongey437 said...

Best of luck this weekend.