Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Tagged Again!

Rachel tagged me, the meanie!

Here's what I gotta do:

1. Find the nearest book.
2. Name the book & the author.
3. Turn to page 123.
4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
5. Tag three more folks.

As it turns out, the nearest book is one I got for Christmas but haven't read yet:

Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature
by Susan E. Davis and Margo DeMello

"According to primatologist Frans de Waal, "Culture simply means that knowledge and habits are acquired from others-- often, but not always, from the older generation-- which explains why two groups of the same species may behave differently." The classic example of these socially transmitted behaviors is found in the Japanese macaques' tradition of washing potatoes, in which one macaque named Imo began, in the 1950s, carrying her dirty potatoes to the water to wash them; soon the others in her group started washing their potatoes. Even after all the original potato-washing macaques had died out, the band continued-- and continues today-- to wash their potatoes."

Nothing at all about bunnies in these three sentences. How disappointing.

I can't think of anyone to tag, since I don't want to tag anyone who's already done this one, and a lot of my other friends are pretty overwhelmed right now. But anyone reading this who has a book within arm's length can consider themselves tagged. How's that?

5 comments:

qcmier said...

Thanks for the excerpt. And yeah that was disappointing that your snippet from a book on bunnies did not mention bunnies.

pacatrue said...

I tagged myself.

Una said...

Yours was way more interesting than mine! I tagged myself.

LauraHinNJ said...

I've done this one already, but would like to know if you enjoy the book once you've read it.

Rachel said...

I, too, wanted bunny stuff. What are "potato-washing macaques" anyway?