Thursday, December 16, 2004

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday to my brother Jacob, who is 31 today!

I am so ready for this week to be over. It seems like I can't manage to do anything I set out to do at work. Today my assistant came in late and the boss was anticipating various important phone calls, so I had to play receptionist and sit by the phone. I only have one line, so I couldn't make any calls of my own or talk more than a few seconds with anyone who called me. Adding to the frustration, I had to keep an eye out for job applicants coming in for scheduled interviews. I don't normally mind helping with any of this, but I had a lot of work of my own to do and it involved phone calls, going to other offices, etc. But no, I was stuck at my desk waiting for the phone to ring until almost noon.

Then we had to scramble to get any budget-affecting documents ready for higher level signatures since it would be the last day before the new year that we could do this. Why do so many people take whole week of Christmas off? I understand the ones who go out of town, but the ones who stay here? I had planned to leave early today or at least on time, and get signatures at the end of the day Friday. Finding out I had to do it today just added to my workload. And since my assistant is the only one by policy allowed to generate certain types of documents, we simply didn't get everything ready because she came in late today. Well, it's not my silly policy that says we can no longer just sign them and take them to accounts payable. It's not the university's policy, either.

But at long last I got a few of the more important things done. It was a day I just felt like I couldn't settle in and get any one thing completely finished. I hate days like that. And for all that, I didn't even get to leave early. If I'm going to not get anything done completely, it should at least be because I was doing something fun instead.

Our office holiday party is tomorrow, the last of the parties for this season. Thank goodness. I hate to be part of the bah humbug crowd, but it took me all year to work off last year's holiday weight gain and I can do without the sabotage. I made a lasagna to take to the party tomorrow, cutting into my workout time tonight. I'm not happy about it, but at least I'll get my gold star for being a team player.

Today's Workouts
Morning: 45 minutes core and stretch cord exercises
Evening: 20 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes treadmill - 8 min/mile pace

No comments: