Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Mid-week ramblings

Today was the Staff Council Christmas party. Since Dan has been going to a holiday party almost every day this week, I took the lasagna I made earlier in the week for his lunches. He won't need it. As it turned out, there was a little left over, so I took that and a plate of other food and cookies to him at his office since this was the one day he didn't have a party to go to. It was fun hanging out with him for a bit. There are advantages to working at the same place as one's spouse.

Once back at the office I was suddenly hugely sleepy and grumpy. I think the high fructose corn syrup in the cookies I ate may be to blame. I wasn't going to have any of the desserts, but there were some delicious-looking cookies that appeared to be homemade. I should've known by the way I couldn't keep my hands off them once I'd tasted one, that they contained HFCS. I ate about six. And then a little later my blood sugar dropped like a rock. I should've known. I found out later that they weren't exactly homemade-- they were made from pre-made cookie dough from a tube, then mixed with a few homemade extras. They were delicious, but I've been trying to eat as "clean" as possible for more than a year now, and I think I'm just a lot more sensitive junky stuff like HFCS now.

I ran on the treadmill tonight, with no pain. I did an interval drill. It's too late to make huge amounts of progress at this point, but I think doing various kinds of short intervals once or twice a week will help my marathon. My original plan had also called for some jump rope and plyometric drills. Do I dare attempt that? Obviously the jumping would be harder on my feet than anything else I've done so far. I'll see how my weekend long run goes and make a decision based on that. I know I would make some very big improvements quickly with some plyometric drills.

I had a good spin session last night (Spinervals 4.0 - Muscle Breakdown) and am planning a long gym session for tomorrow.

Unsolicited Tip of the Day
Do not under any circumstances, eat half a box of Kashi Go Lean cereal at one sitting! No, not even if you are already accustomed to a high fiber diet. Just trust me on this.

Today's Workouts
Morning: 45 minutes core and stretch cord exercises
Evening: 30 minutes elliptical - 10K pace, 30 minutes treadmill - ladder drill

No comments: