Monday, November 15, 2004

Sans voiture...

Well, I am still among the carless. This morning they said it would probably be ready by the end of the day but then they had to get dealer parts which took longer, so my RX-7 won't be sprung until tomorrow, and for more than I wanted to pay. Well, what can one do?

I went and saw Mary today and she found a big knot in my foot, which she hopefully got out. Maybe this will solve the problem and I'll be able to run again. So far my marathon training has looked like just an extension of my tri training-- swimming, strength training, cycling, and very little actual running. I was supposed to start my speed work last week and here I am wondering if it's safe to try to trot around the indoor track at the gym tonight!

And in the comedy of the absurd that is my job, our interim CIO has decreed that documents requiring his signature can no longer be dropped off or sent via inter-office mail, but must be delivered in person at 3:30 pm each day. WTF? Is making me a gofer every time we want to buy paper clips really the best use of my time? So now we have Associate Vice Presidents who want to review each and every expenditure and sign it, no matter how small and pedestrian, and we have business managers who must personally shepherd the whole process. If I had known my place of employment had this much money to waste I would've insisted on a promotion. After all, I can sign orders for paper clips with the best of them!

Finally, in an effort to save money I've been doing a bit of cooking. I love cooking, don't get me wrong. But when your kitchen is the size of a shoe box and you have to leave the room just to have enough space to boil an egg, anything more adventurous than heating up a frozen dinner is an exercise in frustration. Nevertheless I steamed some veggies for lunches yesterday and made up a big butternut squash casserole. Tonight or tomorrow I intend to make a veggie lasagna. That should do us for the week without having to resort to frozen foods or takeout. However, I have to wonder if it's really any cheaper to cook vs buying frozen, if you use only high quality ingredients. Good pasta, good sauce, fresh organic vegetables and good cheese from the deli... it all ads up and probably isn't much of a cost savings in the end. Oh well. It's a quality improvement, at least. I like Amy's Organics and all, but frozen is still frozen.

Well, it's time to take a little nap and then consider what I'll do for the rest of the evening. Cooking, walking and working out with my weights are all options. I had wanted to go to the 4:45 Body Pump class at the Y tonight, but no such luck since I was carpooling with Dan. Carpooling is a bit of a hassle, but I'm glad we can do it. It wouldn't be possible if our hours were vastly different or if we worked on other sides of the city. And hey, since he goes in to work later than I do, it means I can sleep in a bit in the morning! One has to look on the bright side of things.



No comments: