Tuesday, November 23, 2004

'Twas a dark and stormy night...

We had quite a storm blow through here tonight-- lots of wind, rain, hail and lightning. Luckily it didn't last long. Just long enough to scare the bunny. I held her and rubbed her ears until the worst of it was over.

One benefit (although I hate to admit it) of not being able to run is that my legs are finally feeling springy again. The last few times on the bike I've been back to my old speed. I had a great Spinerval session tonight! I also haven't had as many ITB problems, although that's probably due to adding 5 minutes of myofascial release with my foam roller to my morning workout, and not due to lack of running. Before I took up cycling, I never had a moment's trouble with my IT bands.

The taping seems to really be helping my foot. The first day I was kind of stupid and taped it like I taped my other foot last year for the weird problem no one was ever able to diagnose. The taping helped, but that evening I had sort of a "duh" moment and remembered that plantar support taping needs to be X-shaped across the sole of the foot, not lateral only. First the anchors, then the X, then some lateral, then another X, then tape over all the loose edges so it doesn't come apart when you put a sock on. Voila!

Now that I'm taping it properly, my foot feels really, really good. I feel like running in the halls at work, it's that good. It's hard to hold myself back each night from running, but I'm doing my very best to be patient. I want to feel good for the weekend and try an hour on the trails. If I can start running again this weekend, I just might make the marathon after all!

Speaking of the marathon, I noticed that my birthday is the Friday before the marathon and MLK day is the following Monday. I'm going to ask for Friday off and make it a four day weekend. Whether I end up running that weekend or not, it will be nice to have a long break!

Today's Workouts:
Morning: 30 minutes abs, upper body, legs
Evening: Spinervals 3.0 Suffer-O-Rama

No comments: